Carers Week 2020
Did you know that in Cornwall, we have a service dedicated to supporting unpaid carers?
If you look after someone else, such as a friend, family member or neighbour, we can support you. If you are unsure if you are a carer, The Carers Trust have a great article describing the types of support you might provide.
Kernow Carers Service offers support to carers from the age of 5 upwards. This means we support young carers under 25 years old, who may look after siblings, parents or grandparents, as well as adult carers.
During the coronavirus outbreak, you can access the following support from Kernow Carers Service:
- Access to a Carer Support Coordinator Mon-Fri, 12pm-1pm on our Facebook page.
- On the day call-back service for carers who contact the Access Team and need priority support. The Access Team can be contacted on 0300 1234 131.
- Registered carers are being contacted via email, phone or letter and signposted to information that will help them access support in their local area if they are being affected by isolation. You can add your details by calling 0800 587 8191 or by visiting: www.supportincornwall.org.uk/carers.
- Carers assessments will continue to be available via telephone.
- Carer referrals continue to be taken via Family Information Service.
If you know a young carer whose family is self-isolating and need some support or advice, please contact us. The Kernow Young Carers service may be able to access essential items such as food. They may also use the short break funding to buy a film, book or game.
Please email email@example.com with requests (Amazon links are very helpful). Once usual service resumes, young carers will be able access their usual short breaks and activity days through the Young Carers Service. There is also support for young carers with low mood in the form of CBT sessions. For young carer referrals, parental consent must be provided.
Referrals continue to be taken via the Family Information Service helpline number or email address: Tel: 0800 587 8191, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org You can also call the Family Information Service for advice, information and signposting in relation to your caring role.
You are welcome to contact me directly with any queries you might have about the support provided: Email: email@example.com Tel: 07395 834 961
Here are some links that may be useful to you as a carer:
- Cornwall’s Self Help Tool Following a period of maintenance, the Self Help Tool is now back online. If you are unsure of the type of support you need, you can use it to identify areas you might need help and find out who can help you. The Self Help Tool can also be used to make an online referral to Adult Social Care for support. Carers can use this tool to make referrals for the people they care for.
- Cornwall Carers Register You can add yourself to the carers register by calling 0800 587 8191, or by creating an account on the Support in Cornwall website. The register won't effect your entitlement to any benefits or services; but it will ensure you receive the carers bi-annual newsletter, keeping you up to date with all the current information for carers in Cornwall.
- Support in Cornwall Website The carers area of the Support in Cornwall Website is full of information, advice and services to support you in your caring role.
< Cervical Screening Awareness Week - Olivia's personal experience Your weekly dose of 5 ways to wellbeing! 04/06/2020 >